Internal Funding Opportunities
Small value internal grants up to a maximum of $5,000 are available to researchers to develop their research program and assist in securing external grants from any external sources. Each internal grant has specific guidelines and an application on the Romeo Research Management System. Before completing an application, please read the guidelines for the grants you wish to apply for. All grants have a limited time period.
Start-up Research Grant (SURG)
Internal Research Grant (IRG)
Research Outcomes Grant (ROG)
Research Initiatives Grant (RIG)
Special Request for Publication Support (SRPS)
Special Request for International Conference Support (SRICS)
External Funding Opportunities
There are a large number of external grant opportunities and the Office of Research Services will assist researchers in finding the right opportunity for their specific research program. The following links and pages provide information on funding opportunities as well as guidelines from the three major granting agencies, NSERC, SSHRC and CIHR. Please review the guidelines and relevant agency pages.
Applying for external research funding requires preparation, knowledge of the right opportunity and sufficient time to put the application together. The link below provides a short “what to do” when preparing to apply for external funding.
The three main agencies, NSERC, SSHRC, and CIHR, commonly known as the Tri-agency have similar and different guidelines to complete their own applications for various grant opportunities. To make sure the application is prepared to the agency guidelines, please click on the following links and you will be directed to the agency’s webpage.
- SSHRC Grant Application Guidelines
- NSERC Policies and Guidelines
- NSERC Program Guide for Professors
- Writing a CIHR Application
The following link provides funding opportunities with relevant dates and links to the agencies’ grant webpages.
The following links are?funding opportunities other than the Tri-Agency funding.
Ministry of Labour
???Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI)
Chancellors Award Recipients
The chancellor's Award for Excellence in Research was initiated in 2000.
We are pleased to announce that the recipient of the 2017/18 Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Research is Dr. Steven Arnocky, Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology.
|2016/17||Dr. Mark Wachowiak, Computer Science|
|2015/16||Dr. Justin Carré, Assistant Professor, Pyschology|
|2013/14||Dr. David Hemsworth, School of Business|
|2012/13||Dr. David Tabachnik, Political Science|
|2011/12||Dr. Callie Mady, Schulich School of Education|
|2010/11||Dr. Haibin Zhu, Mathematics and Computer Science|
|2009/10||Dr. Vesko Valov, Mathematics|
|2008/09||Dr. Ann-Barbara Graff, English|
|2006/07||Dr. John Kovacs, Geography|
|2005/06||Dr. Peter Joong, Education|
|2004/05||Dr. Greg Pyle, Biology|
|2003/04||Dr. Steve Muhlberger, History|
|2002/03||Dr. Fran?oise No?l, History|
|2001/02||Dr. Lorraine Janzen, English|
|2000/01||Dr. Murat Tuncali, Mathematics|
Chancellors Award Application
To recognize and celebrate the value of research conducted by Nipissing University full-time faculty and those faculty members whose research makes a significant impact on the discipline or field of research.? All full-time faculty members are eligible. The award cannot be received more than once in a five-year period.?
The recipient shall:
- Be a member of the Nipissing University Faculty Association (NUFA) (full-time bargaining unit);?
- Have an outstanding research performance (It could be a significant one-time discovery/contribution or a sustained record of excellent activity and productivity.).
Nominations shall be accepted only from professional peers.? The nomination letters shall be treated as being confidential in nature and will not be made available to the nominee.? Should a Research Council Member be nominated, a conflict of interest will be declared and he/she will not be on the Selection Committee, the position will be filled with another member of the Council, from the same Faculty.? Nominations should be made by?March 29.? Please deliver your nomination package and the support letters to the Office of the Provost and Vice-President, Academic and Research, Chair of the University Research Council, Nipissing University, in Room F307?as well as provide an electronic version of the complete package to email@example.com.
A complete nomination shall include:
- A concise summary (not to exceed 500 words) outlining the major impacts of the nominee’s research accomplishments.?
- Supporting letters from?no less than?three peers.? One letter should come from an?external?peer.?The letters should be substantive and speak to the nominee’s research program, its contribution to the field of research and its value to the University and students.?
- A letter from the Dean, that speaks of the nominee’s contributions to research.?
The Provost and Office of Vice-President, Academic and Research will ask the nominated candidate to provide the following:
- A written acceptance of the nomination,?
- A current curriculum vitae, outlining research activity and publications within the past five (5) years, and?
- The Senate and Faculty committees upon which the nominee has sat.
The Nipissing University Chancellor’s Research Award Selection Committee shall be a committee of the Research Council and shall recommend the award recipient to the Provost and Vice-President, Academic and Research.
The Selection Committee shall consist of
- One representative from each of the Faculties, as selected by the Research Council,
- One member at large, from the Council,
- The Chair of the Council,
- One (1) previous recipient (within the last 5 years) selected by the Council.
The Chancellor's Research Award Selection Committee may select a recipient from among the nominations, received on or prior to the?April 30.
If the Selection Committee deems no nomination to be meeting the criterion of excellence, the Committee reserves the right to re-consider nominations from the previous year, when there was more than one excellent nomination at that time. In such a case, the Chair of the Selection Committee shall ask the nominee to provide an updated curriculum vitae.?
The recipient’s name shall be engraved on a plaque displayed at the University entitled “Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Research”.
- A certificate shall be presented to the recipient at the next Faculty Convocation for the appropriate Faculty and Program.?
- The $1,500* Award will be accessible to the recipient as a one-time payment through payroll, subsequent to the presentation at Convocation.?
*Pursuant to the rules and regulations of the Canadian Revenue Agency?
Research Achievement Award
List of Recipients
The Research Achievement Awards were established in the first Faculty Collective Agreement.
We are pleased to announce the new recipients of the Research Achievement Awards, taking effect in the 2020-2021?academic year:
- Dr. Ali Hatef,?Department of Computer Science & Mathematics
- Dr. Dominic Odwa Atari,?Department of Geography & Geology
- Dr. Mark Wachowiak, Department of Computer Science & Mathematics
- Dr. Hilary Earl, Department of History
- Dr. Kurt Clausen, Schulich School of Education
Congratulations to you all!?
- Dr. Barbi Law, Schulich School of Education
- Dr. Dennis Geden, Fine Arts
- Dr. John Allison, Schulich School of Education
- Dr. Ping Zou, School of Nursing
- Dr. Glenda Black, Schulich School of Education
- Dr. Justin Carré, Psychology
- Dr. Amir Erfani, Sociology and Anthropology
- Dr. Mukund Jha, Biology and Chemistry
- Dr. Manuel Litalien, Social Welfare and Social Development
- Dr. Anahita Baregheh, School of Business
- Dr. Rob Breton, English
- Dr. Kristen Ferguson, Schulich School of Education
- Dr. Lesley Lovett-Doust, Biology
- Dr. Astrid Steele, Schulich School of Education
- Dr. Steven Arnocky, Psychology
- Dr. Logan Hoehn, Computer Science and Mathematics
- Dr. Michelann Parr, Schulich School of Education
- Dr. Lanyan Chen, Social Welfare and Social Development
- Dr. Pavline Radia, English
- Dr. Dan Walters, Geography
- Dr. David Zarifa, Sociology
- Dr. Tzvetalin Vassilev, Mathematics
- Dr. Mark Bruner, Physical Health and Education
- Dr. Rosemary Nagy, Gender, Equality and Social Justice
- Dr. Laurie Kruk, English
- Dr. Jeff Dech, Biology?
- Dr. Amir Erfani, Sociology
- Dr. David Hemsworth, School of Business
- Dr. Trevor Smith, Sociology
- Dr. Haibin Zhu, Computer Science?
Research Achievement Award Application
To recognize meritorious research achievement and to enhance the research productivity and external reputation of full-time faculty members at Nipissing University.?
The recipient shall
- Be a tenured or tenure-track faculty member, and?
- Have?served?at least?three years?as a full-time faculty member at Nipissing University;?
No quota system of any kind will be applied in the determination of award recipients.? The awards are based solely on merit.? The committee reviewing the applications will be looking for a strong record of scholarship, in keeping with the intent of the award.?
The Provost and?Vice-President, Academic and Research, will be responsible, on an annual basis and in a timely fashion, for publicizing the application procedures and encouraging nominations from members.
Nominations must be submitted to the Provost and?Vice-President, Academic and Research, no later than?October 15?to firstname.lastname@example.org??Nominators are?not?expected?to provide a letter?of reference for?nominees.?The Provost and?Vice-President, Academic and Research, will ascertain whether nominees wish to be considered as candidates.?
All candidates for the award will, no later than?October 31, submit an electronic version of?the following to the Office of the Provost and?Vice-President, Academic and Research at email@example.com:
(i)? A curriculum vitae listing the total volume of the candidate's scholarship, including publications, grants and contracts;
(ii)? A brief (up to 500 words) statement of the case why the candidate is deserving of the award;?
(iii)? Any other information the candidate wishes to provide.
The Provost and?Vice-President, Academic and Research, will, by November 30, convene a meeting of the Research Achievement Award Selection?Committee to consider candidates. This Committee will rank the candidates in order of merit.? This Committee will select the award recipients (up to five ) by December 15.? It will be the responsibility of the Provost and?Vice-President, Academic and Research, to announce to the Nipissing community the names of award recipients by January 1.??
The Provost and?Vice-President, Academic and Research, will chair the Committee and will vote only in the event of a tie. The remaining members will consist of:
- two (2) distinguished faculty researchers, with no more than one from any faculty,?who are not candidates for the award, to be selected by the Provost and?Vice-President, Academic and Research;?
- one (1) representative selected by NUFA; and
- the Dean, Graduate Studies and Research?(non-voting).?
There will be up to five (5) Research Achievement Awards per year, each valued at $5,000.? The awards are intended to recognize meritorious research achievement and to enhance the research productivity and external reputation of full-time faculty members at Nipissing University.? The $5,000 will be taken as a research?grant which will be available to the recipient for a period of up to five years, as long as the member remains a full-time employee of Nipissing University. Unspent funds revert to the University if the member leaves the institution.
Awards are payable on May 1 following the date of application / nomination but may be deferred by the recipient for reasonable cause by up to one (1) year.?
Award recipients will be eligible to apply for further awards in the fifth year following the year in which the previous award was received. If the member has held an award, the focus of the Committee's consideration will be on research conducted since the last award.
A portion of the award equal to the appropriate overload stipend may be used to purchase a one-half course (3 credits) teaching release.? The one-half course teaching release will be subject to the approval of the appropriate Dean and the Dean's ability to find a suitable replacement.
Please?refer to?Collective Agreement - Article 33: Research Achievement Awards