After completing the Teacher of Indigenous Languages as a Second Language Program (TILSL), you will be eligible?to receive a Certificate of Qualification and Registration from the Ontario College of Teachers, in an Indigenous language from Kindergarten to Grade 12. The TILSL Program is OCT certified to offer the following Indigenous?language teacher programs:
For this program, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Minimum completion of Ontario Grade 12 or equivalent. Candidates without grade 12 can be admitted if they are 20 years or older and have been out of school for two years or more;
- A one-page statement outlining why you wish to be a teacher of Indigenous Languages;
- Two letters of reference of which one letter is from an individual (not a family member) in a professional capacity who can attest to your level of fluency (Chief and Council, Education Director, Education Authority Board member, Cultural Committee member, etc.).
This two-year program is comprised of three?components:?
- summer sessions at Nipissing University in North Bay, Ontario;
- e-Learning delivered courses to teacher candidates in community;?and,
- in-school internships under the supervision of a certified teacher, in a classroom setting.?
Summer Component:?Over the course of six (6) weeks, students will take six 3-credit courses, from Monday to Friday. Evenings and weekends are dedicated to group work and individual assignment completion.
e-Learning Delivery:?Each semester (fall, winter, spring), teacher candidates? are enrolled in one 3-credit course, delivered through video/online technologies during scheduled days/times (evening and/or weekends).
Practicum:?Teacher candidates are required to complete two internships each year of the program. The first year consists of a 7-week practicum. The second year consists of a 10-week practicum and a 3-week alternative practicum (13 weeks in total in second year). The teacher candidate must complete a practicum experience in both the primary and junior divisions.
Requests for information on admission to the Indigenous Summer Programs should be directed to:
Office of the Registrar
100 College Drive, Box 5002
North Bay ?ON ?P1B 8L7
Phone: 705-474-3450 ext. 4522