The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is compulsory for foreign residents studying at a university in Ontario, Canada. Your coverage starts the day you arrive in Canada and ends the last day of the month of your departure from Canada.?Payment of UHIP fees for the duration of your studies at Nipissing is due upon arrival.?You will be provided with your UHIP card and more detailed information on the plan during orientation. For specific plan details may be found at?www.uhip.ca.
What does UHIP cover?
- Emergency room services at hospitals
- Hospitalization in a standard ward
- Medications prescribed during hospitalization
- Physician’s services
- Annual health examination
- Diagnosis and treatment of illness and injury
- Diagnostic laboratory and X-ray services
- Emergency ambulance
- Emergency services outside Ontario or Canada to the same levels and under the same conditions as OHIP, the Ontario Health Insurance Plan, (you are advised to purchase additional medical insurance when traveling outside Ontario)
- Services of practitioners such as osteopaths and podiatrists to the same levels and under the same conditions as OHIP coverage
All international students will be required to register on-line for UHIP coverage. You will receive by email your UHIP proof of coverage which you will have to present when you visit a health care provider. You should not have to pay for services when you present proof of coverage. If the provider is unfamiliar with UHIP he/she may demand payment. If this is the case, pay for the services, get a receipt and bring it to the International Initiatives?Office (B210) where you can fill out a claim form. The claim will be sent to the insurer and you will be issued a refund cheque.
Before leaving your home country, you may wish to buy travel insurance to cover you while you are en route to Canada. We encourage all international students to review the UHIP plan prior to arrival to determine if complimentary coverage is required.
For more detailed information visit?www.uhip.ca.