?Safety in the laboratory is of prime importance to those working in and around the laboratory.?Nipissing University has established? safety?policies,?practices and?procedures?in addition to?environmental controls to ensure a safe work environment for students, employees?and visitors in the laboratory. ?
All laboratory personnel should know the procedures for working safely and how to respond to emergencies. ?Laboratory personnel must always be aware of:
- ?The locations of emergency telephone numbers,
- The locations and use of emergency eyewash stations and safety showers,
- The locations and use of spill kits (chemical and biological),
- The location of and how to access applicable MSDS
- Glassware washing procedures,
- Limits on volumes of flammable and combustible liquids in their labs,
- Special requirements applicable to biohazardous substances,
- Hazardous waste disposal guidelines,
- SOPs for all applicable procedures and protocols.
- Emergency exits and evacuation routes,
- The locations of evacuation pull stations and fire extinguishers,
- The locations of gas shut-off valves
To that end, Nipissing University has instituted a mandatory Laboratory training program applicable to all individuals working in a laboratory environment. More information about Laboratory Safety Training can be found by?clicking on the link below.
For information relating to Biosafety, please click on the link below.?