Chippewa takes 2018 Nipissing Business Challenge
On October 26th, the School of Business hosted the 2018 Nipissing Business Challenge. Approximately 60 students from West Ferris Secondary School, Chippewa Intermediate & Secondary School, and école secondaire catholique Algonquin participated in the all-day event.
This year’s case considered the product offerings and market position of Pillsbury’s H?agen-Dazs. Competing high school students were required to create a promotional campaign for the company and present it to various Nipissing School of Business faculty and staff members. All students represented themselves commendably in the competition.
The School of Business would like to congratulate Sabrina Lucci, Drake Dietrich, and Andrew Robinson, from Ms. Prisco’s class at Chippewa Intermediate and Secondary School for placing first in the Business Challenge!
These students were presented with the Nipissing Business Challenge Bowl and will receive $500 towards tuition at Nipissing University.
Nipissing University School of Business Stock Market Game
The Stock Market Game, powered by?StockTrak,?is a fun and engaging way for student to gain hands-on experience with the stock market and to further develop their strategic thinking and business decision-making skills. It also serves as a great platform for discussing business issues and fundamentals in the classroom.
Game Dates for?Winter 2019:
- Teacher registration begins: February 4th, 2019
- Game starts: March 4th, 2019
- Game ends: April 12th, 2019
There is no cost to participate, however, teachers must register their students by visiting?www.nipissingusms.com?and clicking on the "Teacher Registration" tab.
At the close of each game, prizes of significant tuition credits will be awarded to the individual students finishing in first, second and third place? out of all the participating schools. Teachers will be notified by email if one of their students has placed.
- First Place: ? ? $2,000 tuition credit to Nipissing University
- Second Place: $1,000 tuition credit to Nipissing University
- Third Place: ? ?$500 tuition credit to Nipissing University
*Note: Tuition credits are not transferable and can only be used for first year tuition at Nipissing University. They may be combined with other scholarships and grants up to 100% of the value of tuition fees.
For inquiries regarding Simulation Platform, Game Functions, Trading Challenges contact:
Stock Track Customer Service
Help Desk Online Form:?http://nipissing.stocktrak.com/contactus
For questions about prizes and game specific inquiries not addressed in the links above contact:
Nipissing University School of Business
705.474.3450 ext. 4329
|Currency of Account||CAD|
|Initial Cash Balance||$500,000|
|Position Limit on Single Security||25%|
|Allow Day Trading||No|
|Maximum Trades Allowed||300|
|Commission on trades||$25.00|
|Minimum Stock Price||$1.00|
|Allow Margin Trading||No|
- Go to?www.nipissingusms.com
- Click on the?“Register Now” link, which will take you to the “Teacher Registration” page.
- Fill out required fields of registration form in both sections, Login Information and Registration Information. Login Information includes: Username, Password, Password Confirmation, and Email Address. Registration Information includes: Contact Name, School Address, Telephone Number and School Name, as well as Number of Students participating, and Number of Teams. Email address provided must be valid, as the majority of correspondence with Stock-Trak will be done via email.?Please note: This is an individual competition so the number of students should equal the number of teams.
*When registering, you will be prompted to enter a Session Code. The code can be found in the letter sent out by Nipissing University. If you have not received a letter as of?February 25th, 2019?please email@example.com?from your official school board email address and we will be happy to supply you with the code. We kindly ask that you do not share this code with your students.
- Usernames and passwords for the number of teams entered will automatically be created after you register. This information will be sent to the email address provided during the registration step.
- Assign usernames and passwords to each student. Now students can log-in (see Student Log-in below).
- All the “My Portfolio” parameters have been selected for you. (Please see below for parameters as determined by Nipissing University).
- StockTrak will send you an acknowledgement that they have received your registration along with the usernames and passwords for each student.
- Should any issues arise during the registration process, please contact the StockTrak’s Customer Service at 1-800-786-8725.
*Please note: teachers need to register prior to students in order for students to receive their log-in information and be able to participate in the simulation.
- Go to?www.nipissingusms.com
- Click on “Log-in to my account” link.
- Enter the username and password provided to you from your teacher.
- If you would like to change your password after first log-in, click on the “About” tab, then click on “Change Password”.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q:? Which markets are available for students to trade in?
A:? Markets in North America (Canada and the United States).
Q:? Are the quotes and trades in real time?
A:? The quotes and trades have a 15 minute delay.
Q:? Is the Nipissing Stock Market Game a competition between classes within each participating school, or between all participating schools?
A:? Prizes will be awarded to the top three accounts from any of the participating schools. Prizes awarded for team/account rankings within each school are the responsibility of, and are at the discretion of, the classroom teacher.
Q:? Are teachers able to change the dates on which the Games begin and end?
A:?? No.? The game dates are determined by Nipissing University’s School of Business in an effort to deliver the Stock Market Game in the most efficient and effective way possible.
Q:? Are teachers able to change the Portfolio Parameters?
A:? No.? The parameters are determined by Nipissing University's School of Business to ensure that all schools in the competition begin the Game with the same rules and that the competition is consistent and fair across the province.
Q:? What options are available for transactions?
A:? Students will be able to buy, sell, sell short or cover short.
Q:? Are students able to play the game if they are not in a class that is participating in the game?
?All first-year School of Business students are required to take at least one introductory accounting course (Introductory Financial Accounting II - ACCT 1107) and if you've never taken accounting before, you'll also be required to take Part I before registering for Part II (Introductory Financial Accounting I - ACCT 1106).
Some students who have taken prior accounting courses still find ACCT 1107 challenging as they do not have a strong foundation in the basic accounting rules and terminology. This self assessment quiz is meant to target these students to ensure that they are registered in the correct course. For example, you may have taken Grade 11 Accounting but you are not sure if you understood the basics in order to proceed. This quiz will help to establish this. No base score is used to determine which course is best for you. If after having completed the quiz you found that you did not understand the terminology or the questions, you may wish to register in ACCT 1106 first where these basics will be covered in more depth.
There are two PDF files below that you may download. One file contains the quiz and the other file contains the answer key.
The School of Business?hopes that you have a wonderful summer and we look forward to meeting you in September!