Dr. Kariuki's current interests include hydrometallurgy as well as a study of the effects of reduced sulphur species on water quality.? The main goal of the hydrometallurgical research that we are performing is to develop more environmentally friendly and economical ways of mining minerals compared to the smelting processes that have traditionally been used.
An important part of the sulfur project is an investigation of the speciation of the reduced sulfur species in drinking water sources.
The above research is being carried out using a variety of techniques that include Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy (AAS), High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), and Voltametric techniques.?
- Chlorate-based oxidative hydrometallurgical extraction of copper and zinc from copper concentrate sulfide ores using mild acidic conditions. S. Kariuki, C. Moore, A. M. McDonald,?Hydrometallurgy, 96?2009?72–76.
- N,N-Diethyl-p-phenylenediamine effectiveness in analysis of polysulfides and polythionates in water. S. Kariuki*, P. Babady-Bila, B. Duquette,?Environ. Chem.?2008,?5, 226–230.
- The role of oxidizing agents in hydrometallurgical extraction of sulfur-based minerals from low-grade ores containing large proportions of iron. S. Kariuki, C. M. Simpson, A. M. McDonald,?Journal of Applied Global Research (JAGR),?2008,?1(2), 6-13
- Analysis of commonly used antibiotics in acqueous samples: A review. S. Kariuki, J. Drouin,?International Journal of Social Health Information Management (IJSHIM),?2008,?1(2), 1-11.
- Analysis of ionic Polysulfides by Differential Pulse Polarography. S. Kariuki, M.J. Morra, K.J. Umiker, I.F. Cheng,?Anal. Chim. Acta,?2001,?442, 277-285.
- Electrochemical stability of copper in lithium-ion-battery electrolytes. M. Zhao, S. Kariuki, H.D. Dewald, F.R. Lemke, R.J. Staniewicz, E.J. Plichta, R.A. Marsh,?J. Electrochem. Soc.,?2000,?147 (8), 2874-9.
- Current Oscillations of Indium(III) at a Dropping Mercury Electrode. S. Kariuki, H.D. Dewald, J. Thomas, R.W. Rollins,?J. Electroanal. Chem.,?2000,?486(2),?175-180.
- Current Oscillations in the Reduction of Indium(III) and Gallium(III) in Dilute Chloride and Nitrate Solutions at the Dropping Mercury Electrode. S. Kariuki, H.D. Dewald,?Electrochim. Acta,?1998,?43(7), 701-4.
- Polarographic Determination of Diffusion Coefficient Values of In(III) in Potassium Chloride and Nitrate Supporting Electrolytes. S. Kariuki, H.D. Dewald,?Talanta,?1997,?44(10), 1765-71.
- Diffusion Coefficients of Gallium(III) in KNO3 and KCl Supporting Electrolytes. S. Kariuki, H.D. Dewald,?Electroanalysis,?1997,?9, 231-4.
- Evaluation of Diffusion Coefficients of Metallic Ions in Aqueous Solutions. S. Kariuki, H.D. Dewald,?Electroanalysis,?1996,?8, 307-13.